Roasted Garlic Parmesan Hummus
One great way to prevent colon cancer is through diet. Allium vegetables, like garlic, are thought to prevent the growth and spread of cancer cells. So be sure to stock your fridge with plenty of garlic.
The World Health Organization recommends that adults eat at least one clove of garlic daily. One cup of this hummus has eight roasted garlic cloves, which gives a nice subtle flavor. If you want a strong garlic taste (and maximum nutrition from raw veggies), you can substitute one teaspoon of minced raw garlic for the roasted garlic.
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) are the main ingredient in hummus. They are high in fiber, selenium and magnesium, all of which are important for colon health. With this delicious hummus, you will be right on track for eating more garlic and promoting healthy living!
Ingredients: (makes about 1 cup)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 cup canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp olive oil + a little extra
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp sea salt + a little extra
- Few shakes of pepper
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Few sprinkles of paprika
- Preheat oven to 375. Place a small piece of tin foil on a baking sheet.
- Peel garlic cloves, cut off ends and place them at the center of the tin foil. Drizzle a little olive oil and sprinkle a little sea salt and pepper on the cloves. Close the tin foil over the cloves. Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- Place chickpeas in a food processor, along with lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, water, and ½ tsp sea salt. Blend until smooth.
- When the garlic cloves are done roasting, let them cool, then mince (should be around 4 tsp minced). Add minced garlic, a couple shakes of pepper, and the grated parmesan cheese to the food processor and blend well.
- Transfer hummus to a small serving bowl and decorate top with a couple extra chickpeas, a little fresh parsley, and a few sprinkles of paprika. Serve hummus with raw veggies like carrots, broccoli and zucchini or warmed slices of whole wheat pita bread.