Wheatgrass comes from the common wheat plant Triticum aestivum. It is commonly prepared several ways – as a juice, a powder or a tablet. Wheatgrass is packed with nutrients, making it the perfect addition to your morning smoothie for colon cancer prevention and overall colon health.
Wheatgrass contains antioxidants that boost immunity and prevent disease. Flavonoids, a group of phytochemicals found in plants, and vitamins A, C and E all help reduce oxidation (free radical damage) that contributes to disease. Studies have shown that these antioxidants, as well as chlorophyll, can reduce the risk of cancers such as colon cancer. Chlorophyll is one of the most important and abundant nutrients in wheatgrass; it helps to detoxify the body and contains enzymes needed for digestion.
Many people add wheatgrass to smoothies. This Blueberry Banana Wheatgrass Smoothie recipe shows you just how easy it is to do! If you are timid about the greens, just start small with the wheatgrass powder and build your way up. You can always balance it with fruit, which will provide more fiber to keep your bowels moving. Probiotic-rich greek yogurt not only thickens and flavors the smoothie, but also improves digestion and leads to a healthier colon.
Wheatgrass Smoothie Recipe Ingredients (makes two 8-ounce servings):
- ½ cup original almond milk
- ½ cup vanilla non-fat Greek yogurt (or 5.3 oz)
- 1 medium ripe banana
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 2-3 teaspoons wheatgrass powder
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
- 5 ice cubes
- Using a blender, mix the almond milk, Greek yogurt, banana, spinach, vanilla extract, chia seeds and wheatgrass powder together.
- Add the frozen blueberries and ice cubes and blend for another minute or so until thoroughly mixed. Pour into two small glasses and serve cold.